Insurance Cover – International Removals
The ‘Flexicover’ Insurance policy held by your Mover is underwritten by Lonham Group Limited for and on behalf of Chaucer Syndicate 1084 at Lloyds. Cover is provided with the terms, conditions and exclusions, as detailed overleaf. It is important that you cover your effects adequately and we would recommend that you read the following information carefully.
The following cover options are available:-
- Super Cover carries a nil Deductible.
- Standard Cover carries a Deductible of 1% of the total value of Customers’ Property, subject to a minimum of £25 and a maximum of £250.
- Restricted Cover provides cover following the total loss of the complete consignment or an individual carton or package as detailed on the inventory.
COMPLETING THE VALUATION FORM
- Make sure that all items you require to be covered are listed on the Valuation Form. You will see that for certain items the form is divided on a room-by-room basis. This is intended as a guide to help you remember all the effects in your consignment and is not a conclusive list. Therefore, if for example you have more than one television they can all be covered with the T.V. category under the Living Room section as long as you allow for the correct total number and value.
- Any effects you fail to list will not be covered. If there is insufficient room on this form either provide a supplementary list or ask your Mover for a second valuation. If you do complete more than one ensure that the first form is marked “1 of 2” and the second “2 of 2” or as appropriate. You will see that there are a number of blank spaces on the form to enable you to insert your own category descriptions under the relevant section.
- You do not need to provide a quantity for all effects. Where a quantity is not required, the Valuation Form is marked with an X.
- Claims will be adjusted on the assumption that all grouped items are of a similar value. Where any particular item(s) have an above average value, please list separately where indicated. Any single items with a value exceeding £1,500 will also need to be separately listed.
- Make sure you value your effects correctly. You should ascertain the like-for-like replacement cost at destination, allowing for condition and age, as supported by a complete valued inventory. Prices at destination may vary considerably from the U.K. and we suggest you consult your Mover or the appropriate embassy for guide-lines.
- If the value you indicate is not sufficient any claim will be subject to “average”. This means that if you cover an item for £100 and it is found to be worth £200 at your destination then only 50% of any claim you make for the item will be met.
- In the event of the total loss of your consignment you will have been put to the expense of shipping your goods to no avail. If you insert shipping and packing costs in the appropriate section of the Valuation Form these costs will be met by the cover following a total loss.
- Complete the form yourself. Do not depend upon any other party to list and value your effects adequately. In all cases check the document carefully before signing and dating is as it will form the basis of your cover.
The charge quoted by your Mover will be for Standard Cover, as detailed above, unless otherwise indicated. This limits cover on items listed under category P. (Fragile) on the Valuation Form up to 30% of the total value of the consignment. If you require a quotation for a higher proportion of fragiles, please refer to your Mover.
Storage incidental to transit is covered up to a maximum period of 60 days. However, if your effects are to be stored at a rental you should arrange for the cover to be extended. Additional charges will be payable.
As suggested above, please ensure that you read the terms and conditions within this prospectus. We would particularly draw your attention to the clauses concerning owner packed effects, jewellery, money and documents.
OPTIONAL ADDITIONAL COVERAGE
Certain exclusions can be removed resulting in wider coverage although this will incur increased cost. If you wish to benefit from any of the three Additional Coverage options indicate the appropriate box(es) on the Valuation Form. The following additional coverage is available:-
- Pairs & Sets. Where an item is part of a pair or set Insurers will only pay for the actual part(s) lost or damaged. No payment will be made for articles in the set that are not lost or damaged. Taking this Additional Coverage increases extends cover to include the reduction in the entire value of the set taking into consideration the affected item within the pair or set.
- Mildew. Damage caused by mildew is excluded from the cover. Adding this Additional Coverage extends cover to include damage caused by mildew.
- Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Derangement. The cost of repairing or replacing any electrical, electronic or mechanical item found not to be working on arrival that shows no evidence of external damage is excluded from the cover. Cover will be provided for such cost if this Additional Coverage is taken.
WHAT TO DO NEXT
Once you have completed the Valuation Form, make sure a copy is provided to the Mover as soon as possible. You will then be issued with a Certificate. When you receive the Certificate check to ensure that it has been issued correctly and advise your Mover immediately if there are any errors.
In the event that you need to make a claim, notification must be given to Removal Claims Service (RCS) at the address below in accordance with the Claim Notification Period clause contained within the Terms and Conditions of Cover. You should also notify the final delivery agents in writing.
The following information will be required:-
Your name and contact details
Your certificate number
The name of the Mover with whom your original contract was made.
Estimates for repairs or replacement.
As many details as possible of your claim.
If you have any cause for complaint you should, in the first instance contact Removal Claims Service at the address below. If they are unable to resolve your complaint they will advise you of the organisation to contact to progress your complaint on to the next stage of the procedure.
Address: Removal Claims Service, Swan House, Swan Centre, Leatherhead Surrey, KT22 8AH
Tel: 01372 385970
Removal Claims Service is a trading name of Basil E. Fry & Co. Limited.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF COVER
These are the terms and conditions of cover underwritten by Lonham Group Limited for and on behalf of Chaucer Syndicate 1084 at Lloyds, via Basil E Fry & Co Ltd (the Broker) and Your chosen Remover (Universal Removals Ltd). In these Terms and Conditions, “we”, “us”and “our” means Insurers. “You” and “your” means the beneficiary of this cover.
SUBJECT MATTER Household Goods and Personal Effects, Antiques, Motor Vehicles, Boats and items of similar interest as declared on the Overseas Valuation Form.
SUM INSURED is defined as the total declared value of your goods
Subject to the Cover selected on the Certificate, the scope of cover provided is as follows:
1) SUPER COVER: provides cover for physical loss and/or damage to the subject matter covered except for the exclusions listed herein.
2) STANDARD COVER: is as per Super Cover subject to You bearing a claims excess of 1% of the Sum Insured under the Certificate subject to a minimum of £25 and a maximum of £250.
3) RESTRICTED COVER: only provides cover for total loss of the complete consignment or an individual carton or package detailed on the inventory subject to the exclusions listed below.
Warranted that a full valued inventory must be provided for any declaration of cover or Certificate
TRANSIT CLAUSE (PERIOD OF COVER)
This cover is effective from the time the Property is professionally packed and/or uplifted from the residence or business location for the commencement of the transit and continues, including storage if any, until the subject matter is professionally delivered to the final destination named on the Certificate including temporary storage in the ordinary course of transit of not more than 60 days after the arrival of the conveying vessel or aircraft. Subject to prior agreement by us and payment of an additional charge the period of cover may be extended to cover property stored at a rental. If the goods are professionally unpacked coverage is extended to cover the period of professional unpacking provided this takes place within 7 days of delivery.
The cover is extended to include transits during the period of storage between the premises of Carpet Cleaners, Repairers and/or Restorers and the storage locations.
i) Jewellery, watches, precious stones, precious metals, money, coins, bullion, deeds, bonds, securities and stamps of all kinds.
iii) Furs, perfumery, tobacco products, wines, spirits and the like, mobile phones.
iv) Weapons, Arms, Ammunition or Explosives and/or parts, associated accessories,materials or ingredients of all kinds.
v) Loss of data records other than the cost of blank data carrying materials.
i) Loss or damage caused by wear and tear, rust or gradual deterioration, insufficiency of insulation, shortage in weight, evaporation, inherent vice or latent defect
ii) Loss or damage caused by moth, insect or vermin (including contamination) unless from an external cause.
iii) Loss or damage caused by leakage of liquid from a receptacle or container.
iv) Mechanical or Electrical derangement of any mechanical or electrical items unless reasonably attributable to physical damage from an external cause or following fire, flood,collision or overturning of road vehicles or other conveyance.
v) Mildew, Mould, Extremes of Temperature or other Atmospheric conditions.
vi) Damage resulting from goods being moved under Your express instructions against the Remover’s advice.
vii) Claims for indirect loss, consequential loss, loss of market or delay of any kind or description
OWNER PACKED EFFECTS
This cover excludes risk of breakage, scratching, denting, chipping, staining and tearing of owner packed effects including trunks, suitcases and the like unless reasonably attributed to physical damage to such items from collision or overturning of road vehicles or other conveyances.
Also excluding claims for missing items unless a valued list of contents of each carton is supplied by the owner/customer to the Contractor prior to the commencement of the transit and such list is approved by Insurers.
MOTOR VEHICLES & BOATS
i) Excluding scratching, bruising, denting, marring, cost of repainting, rust, oxidisation and discolouration, unless a condition report is completed prior to cover attaching.
ii) Excluding cover whilst under own power except whilst loading to/from the shipping container or carrying conveyance.
iii) Cover ceases hereunder once the motor vehicle or boat is discharged from the shipping company’s care, custody or control unless:
a) the vehicle or boat remains in a shipping container to the final destination agreed, or
b) the vehicle or boat is conveyed by a commercial carrier to the final destination agreed.
iv) Excluding theft of accessories, personal effects and tool kits but including loss of accessories if factory fitted.
BASIS OF CLAIMS SETTLEMENT
The settlement of any claim shall be the replacement, repair (but excluding any claim for depreciation consequent upon such repair) and/or compensation at Insurers option. Insurers will take into consideration the age, quality, condition and current used market value of items when calculating settlement. In respect of documents, the basis of claims settlement shall be limited to the physical cost of replacing the documents and/or cost of reprinting, re-issue and/or reconstitution but excluding the value of the information contained thereon.
If the value of the property covered at the time of loss is collectively greater than the Sum Insured, then You shall be considered as being Your own Insurer for the difference and You will only be entitled to be paid that proportion of the loss which the value declared bears to the actual value of the property removed and/or stored.
PAIRS AND SETS CLAUSE
In the event of loss of or damage to any article forming part of a pair or set, Insurers shall not be liable for more than the value of the particular part or parts which may be lost or damaged without reference to any special value which such part or parts may have as forming a pair or set but in any event not exceeding a proportionate part of the sum insured in respect of the pair or set.
This cover is subject to the following:
CYBER ATTACK EXCLUSION CLAUSE
a) subject only to clause b) below, in no case shall this cover include loss damage liability or expense directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to by or arising from the use or operation, as a means for inflicting harm, of any computer, computer system, computer software programme, malicious code, computer virus or process or any other electronic system.
b) where this clause is endorsed on policies covering risks of war, civil war, revolution, rebellion, insurrection, or civil strife arising therefrom, or any hostile act by or against a belligerent power, or terrorism or any person acting from a political motive, clause a) shall not operate to exclude losses (which would otherwise be covered) arising from the use of any computer, computer system or computer software programme or any other electronic system in the launch and/or guidance system and/or firing mechanism of any weapon or missile.
RADIOACTIVE CONTAMINATION, CHEMICAL, BIOLOGICAL, BIO-CHEMICAL AND ELECTROMAGNETIC WEAPONS EXCLUSION CLAUSE
This cover excludes any legal liability of whatsoever nature directly or indirectly caused by or contributed to or arising from:-
a) ionising, radiations or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or nuclear waste or from the combustion of nuclear fuel.
b) the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof.
c) any weapon or device employing atomic or nuclear fission and/or fusion or other like reaction or radioactive force or matter
d) the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous or contaminating properties of any radioactive matter. The exclusion in this sub-clause does not extend to radioactive isotopes, other than nuclear fuel, when such isotopes are being prepared, carried, stored, or used for commercial, agricultural, medical, scientific or other similar peaceful purposes.
e) any chemical, biological, bio-chemical or electromagnetic weapon
SONIC BANGS EXCLUSION
Loss, destruction or damage directly caused by pressure waves caused by aircraft and other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds
This cover excludes loss of or damage to cargo occasioned by or happening through or in consequence of war, invasion, act of foreign enemies, hostilities (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped power or confiscation or nationalisation or requisition or destruction of or damage to property by or under the order of any government or public or local authority.
JC 98/019 CARGO ISM ENDORSEMENT
Applicable to shipments on board Ro-Ro passenger ferries.
Applicable with effect from 1 July 1998 to shipments on board:
- Passenger vessels transporting more than 12 passengers and
- Oil tankers, chemical tankers, gas carriers, bulk carriers and cargo high speed craft of 500 gt or more. Applicable with effect from 1 July 2002 to shipments on board all other cargo ships and mobile offshore drilling units of 500 gt or more.
In no case shall this cover include loss, damage or expense where the subject matter is carried by a vessel that is not ISM Code certified or whose owners or operators do not hold an ISM Code Document of Compliance when, at the time of loading of the subject matter on board the vessel, the You were aware, or in the ordinary course of business should have been aware:
(a) Either that such vessel was not certified in accordance with the ISM Code.
(b) Or that a current Document of Compliance was not held by her owners or operators
as required under the SOLAS Convention 1974 as amended.
This exclusion shall not apply where the cover has been assigned to the party claiming hereunder who has bought or agreed to buy the subject matter insured in good faith under a binding contract
Cargo ISPS Endorsement
In no case shall this cover include loss, damage or expense where the subject matter is carried by a vessel that does not hold a valid International Ship Security Certificate as required under the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code when, at the time of loading of the subject matter on board the vessel, the You were aware, or in the ordinary course of business should have been aware that such vessel was not certified in accordance
with the ISPS Code as required under the SOLAS Convention 1974 as amended.
This exclusion shall not apply where the cover has been assigned to the party claiming hereunder who has bought or agreed to buy the subject matter insured in good faith under a binding contract.
Cargo ISM Forwarding Charges Clause
This cover is extended to provide reimbursement, up to the limit of the Sum Insured for the voyage, for any extra charges properly and reasonably incurred in unloading, storing and forwarding the subject-matter to the destination to which it is covered hereunder following release of cargo from a vessel arrested or detained at or diverted to any other port or place (other than the intended port of destination) where the voyage is terminated due either
(a) To such vessel not being certified in accordance with the ISM Code. Or
(b) To a current Document of Compliance not being held by her owners or operators
as required under the SOLAS Convention 1974 as amended.
This clause, which does not apply to General Average or Salvage or Salvage Charges, is subject to all other terms conditions and exclusions contained in the Summary of Cover and to JCC Cargo ISM Endorsement JC98/019.
Cargo ISPS Forwarding Charges Clause
This cover is extended to reimburse the You, up to the limit of the sum insured for the voyage, for any extra charges properly and reasonably incurred in unloading, storing and forwarding the subject-matter to the destination to which it is covered hereunder following release of cargo from a vessel arrested or detained at or diverted to any other port or place (other than the intended port of destination) where the voyage is terminated due to such vessel not being certified in accordance with the ISPS Code as required under the SOLAS Convention 1974 as amended.
This clause, which does not apply to General Average or Salvage or Salvage Charges, is subject to all other terms conditions and exclusions contained in the Summary of Cover and to JCC Cargo ISPS Endorsement (JC 2004/050).
JC2008/024 CARGO PIRACY NOTICE OF CANCELLATION
Where this cover includes piracy and/or general average, salvage and sue and labour charges arising from piracy, such cover may be cancelled by insurers giving 7 days notice in writing, cancellation to take effect on the expiry of 7 days from midnight of the day on which the notice is issued by insurers.
Insurers agree to reinstate this coverage subject to agreement between insurers and You prior to the cancellation taking effect as to any new rate of premium and/or conditions and/or warranties. Such cancellation shall not affect any cover which has attached before the cancellation takes effect.
If the cancellation is in relation to specific geographical areas, such areas will be clearly defined by insurers in the notice of cancellation.
JC2009- 056 TERMINATION OF TRANSIT CLAUSE (TERRORISM) 2009
This clause shall be paramount and shall override anything contained in this Summary of Cover inconsistent therewith.
1) Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary contained in the contract or the Clauses referred to therein, it is agreed that in so far as the contract covers loss of or damage to the subject-matter caused by any act of terrorism being an act of any person acting on behalf of, or in connection with, any organisation which carries out activities directed towards the overthrowing or influencing, by force or violence, of any government whether or not legally constituted or any person acting from a political, ideological or religious motive, such cover is conditional upon the subject-matter being in the ordinary course of transit and, in any event,
1.1 as per the transit clauses contained within the contract, or
1.2 on completion of unloading from the carrying vehicle or other conveyance in or at the final warehouse or place of storage at the destination named in the contract,
1.3 on completion of unloading from the carrying vehicle or other conveyance in or at any other warehouse or place of storage, whether prior to or at the destination named in the contract, which the Remover or their employees elect to use either for storage other than in the ordinary course of transit or for allocation or distribution, or
1.4 when the Remover or their employees elect to use any carrying vehicle or other conveyance or any container for storage other than in the ordinary course of transit, or
1.5 in respect of marine transits, on the expiry of 60 days after completion of discharge overside of the subject-matter from the oversea vessel at the final port of discharge,
1.6 in respect of air transits, on the expiry of 30 days after unloading the subject-matter from the aircraft at the final place of discharge, whichever shall first occur.
2) If the contract or the Clauses referred to therein specifically provide cover for inland or other further transits following on from storage, or termination as provided for above, cover will re-attach, and continues during the ordinary course of that transit terminating again in accordance with clause 1.
JC2010/014 SANCTION LIMITATION AND EXCLUSION CLAUSE
No (re)insurer shall be deemed to provide cover and no (re)insurer shall be liable to pay any claim or provide any benefit hereunder to the extent that the provision of such cover, payment of such claim or provision of such benefit would expose that (re)insurer to any sanction, prohibition or restriction under United Nations resolutions or the trade or economic sanctions, laws or regulations of the European Union, United Kingdom or United States of America.
JC2010-015 UK EXPORT CONTROL ORDER 2008 – REVOCATION OF LICENCES CLAUSE
In no case shall this cover include or shall any insurer(s) be liable to pay any claim or provide any benefit hereunder in respect of any movement(s) of goods authorised by an export control licence issued under the UK Export Control Order 2008 if the licence has expired or been revoked or for the period of suspension if the licence has been suspended.
This clause shall not apply to a claim that arises prior to expiry revocation or suspension of such licence. In the event of the subsequent reinstatement of the licence, cover will re-attach subject always to the terms and conditions of this cover.
This clause shall be paramount and shall override anything contained in this Summary of Cover inconsistent therewith.
This cover does not include any loss or damage which at the time of the happening of such loss or damage is insured by or would, but for the existence of this cover, be insured by any other existing policy or policies had this cover not been effected.
CONTRACT (RIGHTS OF THIRD PARTIES) ACT 1999 EXCLUSION CLAUSE (CARGO)
The provisions of the Contracts (Right of Third Parties) Act 1999 do not apply to this cover including any certificate(s) issued hereunder. Neither this cover nor any certificates issued hereunder confer any benefits on any third parties. No third party may enforce any term of this cover or of any certificate issued hereunder. This clause shall not affect Your rights (as assignee or otherwise) or the rights of any loss payee.
ENFORCING RIGHTS AND REMEDIES
Any claimant under this cover shall at the request and at the expense of the Insurers do and concur in doing and permit to be done all such all such acts and things as may be necessary or reasonably required by the Insurers for the purpose of enforcing any rights and remedies, or of obtaining relief or indemnity from other parties to which the Insurers shall be or would be come entitled or subrogated upon their paying for or making good any loss or damage under this cover, whether such acts and things shall be or become necessary or required before or after his indemnification by the Insurers.
This cover includes General Average and Salvage Charges, adjusted or determined according to the contract of affreightment and/or the governing law and practice (or, if there is no contract of affreightment, according to Foreign Statement or to York-Antwerp Rules) incurred to avoid or in connection with avoidance of loss from any cause except those specifically excluded here from. For the purposes of general average contributions and salvage charges recoverable hereunder the subject matter shall be deemed to be covered for its full contributory value.
This cover shall be construed according to and governed by English law and any dispute hereunder shall be submitted to the exclusive jurisdiction of the High Court of Justice, England.
CLAIMS NOTIFICATION TIME LIMIT
In the event of loss or damage which may give rise to a claim under this certificate immediate notice in writing should be given to the Insurer’s Agents as detailed below. Detailed notification of claim must be made within 30 days of delivery, or scheduled delivery date in the event of non-delivery, to the destination. Any claims submitted after this period has elapsed may be jeopardised, time being of the essence.
In the event that You need to make a claim immediate notification must be given to our claim settling agents REMOVAL CLAIMS SERVICE (RCS) at the address below, wherever Your final delivery is made. Whether You telephone, write or fax please provide the following information:
- Your name and address for correspondence
- Your certificate number
- The name of the international remover with whom Your original contract was made.
- As many details as possible of Your claim. Claims documentation will be sent to You
immediately. In the meantime You should attempt to obtain estimates where viable for necessary repairs or replacement. If You did not endorse the delivery documentation when receiving Your goods You should also write to the final delivery agents advising them of the nature of damage or loss. If local representation is required by the Insurers arrangement will be made by RCS.
Insurer’s Claim Settling Agents:-
Removal Claims Service, Swan House, Swan Centre, Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 8AH
Tel: 01372 385970 Fax: 01372 385971 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Removal Claims Service is a trading name of Basil E Fry & Co Ltd. Basil E Fry & Co Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
If You have any cause for complaint You have should, in the first instance contact RCS at the address below.
If RCS are unable to resolve Your complaint You should write to us at the following address:
If no satisfaction is obtained, complaints should be referred to:
1) The Complaints Officer,
Lonham Group Ltd, The Captain’s House, 81 Grimwade Street, Ipswich, Suffolk IP4 1LN.
Tel: 01473 216116, Fax: 01473 230063, Email email@example.com
2) The Complaints and Advisory Department, Lloyd’s, One Lime Street, London EC3M 7HA.
Tel: 0207 327 5693, Fax: 0207 327 5225, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the event that the Complaints Department is unable to resolve Your complaint, it may be possible to refer it to the Financial Ombusdman Service. Further details will be provided at the appropriate time